A message from
Very Rev. Christopher Smith, Episcopal Vicar and Rector
May 1, 2020
In compliance with the mandates being made by government leaders and the Diocese of Orange, the following measures are being implemented at Christ Cathedral Parish:
- As of March 20, 2020, Bishop Vann has directed that in conformity with the governor’s order for the public to stay at home, all parish sites, including Christ Cathedral, will be closed to the public until further notice.
- Bishop Vann has suspended all public Masses in the Diocese until further notice.
- The faithful will be able to view daily Mass from Christ Cathedral via livestream in English at 6:30 a.m. and Vietnamese at 5:30 p.m. at ChristCathedralCalifornia.org,Vimeo, and on the Diocese of Orange YouTube channel.
- Christ Cathedral will livestream Sunday Mass in English at 9:45 a.m., Spanish at 11:30 a.m. and Vietnamese at 1:15 p.m. at ChristCathedralCalifornia.org,Vimeo, and on the Diocese of Orange YouTube channel.
- The new parish office hours are Monday through Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. The office will be closed on Sundays.
- Even as we worship at virtual Mass and remain physically isolated from one another, your continued financial support of Christ Cathedral Parish is critical in supporting our ministry and outreach to the community. For those who wish to drop off their offering, we have collection baskets outside the main doors of the Cathedral during the livestream of our 9:45 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Sunday Masses. Donations can also be mailed to the Cathedral, made online or dropped off at the parish office Monday – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 pm.
- The regularly scheduled hours for Confession have been suspended until further notice. Although opportunities to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation have temporarily been suspended, the Church, in her mercy, offers an alternative. Click here to read more.
- Celebrations of Baptism, First Communions, First Reconciliations and Confirmations have been postponed until a later date.
- The bishop is asking that funerals be postponed until a later date, if possible. If a funeral is scheduled, it will be with the understanding that attendance should be limited to 10 people, beginning with immediate family. Funerals will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Weddings and Quinceañeras that have not already been postponed will be rescheduled.
- All faith formation classes and activities for students, as well as all activities for catechists, volunteers and parents are being suspended until further notice. This includes the faith formation programs and activities for youth that take place in all the languages. It also includes classes and activities for students, parents and volunteers in the Confirmation program.
- All Youth and Young Adult programs and activities are being suspended until further notice.
- All activities of ministerial groups and organizations of the parish are being suspended until further notice.
During these difficult times, let us hold one another in prayer. We especially pray for the sick, health care providers, public health officials, and diocesan and community leaders during the weeks ahead.
Together in faith,
Very Rev. Christopher H. Smith, Rector