A message from
Very Rev Christopher Smith, Episcopal Vicar and Rector
March 31, 2020
In compliance with the mandates being made by government leaders and the Diocese of Orange, the following measures are being implemented at Christ Cathedral Parish:
- As of March 20, 2020, Bishop Vann has directed that in conformity with the governor’s order for the public to stay at home, all parish sites, including Christ Cathedral, will be closed to the public until further notice.
- Bishop Vann has suspended all public Masses in the Diocese until further notice.
- The faithful will be able to view daily Mass from Christ Cathedral via livestream in English at 6:30 a.m. and Vietnamese at 5:30 p.m. at Mass.ChristCathedralCalifornia.org, Vimeo, and on the Diocese of Orange You Tube channel.
- Christ Cathedral will livestream Sunday Mass in English at 9:45 a.m., Spanish at 11:30 a.m. and Vietnamese at 1:15 p.m. at Mass.ChristCathedralCalifornia.org, Vimeo, and on the Diocese of Orange You Tube channel.
- The new parish office hours are Monday through Saturday 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. The office will be closed on Sundays.
- Even as we worship at virtual Mass and remain physically isolated from one another, it remains crucial to continue our Lenten giving. In the midst of this crisis, Christ Cathedral continues to function. Your generous gifts will allow us to continue our important mission to serve our parishioners, the diocese and the world. Your unwavering support is needed desperately now, perhaps more than ever before. Please prayerfully give to Christ Cathedral by mailing your donation today to Christ Cathedral 12141 Lewis Street, Garden Grove, CA 92840, by giving online through the Giving tab at Parish.ChristCathedralCalifornia.org or drop off your Sunday offering at the reception desk in the Tower of Hope during our new business hours.
- The regularly scheduled hours for Confession have been suspended until further notice.
- Stations of the Cross have been canceled.
- Celebrations of Baptism have been suspended until further notice.
- The bishop is asking that Funerals be postponed until a later date, if possible. If a funeral is scheduled, it will be with the understanding that attendance should be limited to 10 people, beginning with immediate family. Funerals will be looked at on a case to case basis.
- Weddings and Quinceañeras that have not already requested to be postponed are being asked to reschedule.
- All faith formation classes and activities for students, as well as all activities for catechists, volunteers and parents are being suspended until further notice. This includes the faith formation programs and activities for youth that take place in all the languages. It also includes classes and activities for students, parents and volunteers in the Confirmation program.
- All Youth and Young Adult programs and activities are being suspended until further notice.
- All activities of ministerial groups and organizations of the parish are being suspended until further notice.
- First Communions and Confirmation will remain as scheduled unless a revision is required.
During these difficult times, let us hold one another in prayer. We especially pray for the sick, health care providers, public health officials, diocesan and community leaders during the weeks ahead.
Together in faith,
Very Rev. Christopher H. Smith, Rector